Sunday, June 10, 2012

First Bag


We received our first bag of the summer season from Fresh Fork Market. It included items we were familiar with -- pea tendrils, collard greens, lettuce, radishes, and strawberries.

Being early in the season, the strawberries weren't the best ever, but they were juicy and delicious. I may chop a few for a salad tonight. When it cools down and if we have any left over later in the week, I may slice them thinly and place them between layers of a cake.

365-342 Strawberries
Day 342/365

The bag also included a few unfamiliar items like kohlrabi and garlic scapes. Also included was a bunch of red kale. We've had regular kale before, but not the red variety. A whole pasture-fed chicken (5-6 lb) was also included. Having never knowingly eaten a "pasture-fed" chicken, this will be interesting to see if we can detect a difference. Bug has his mind set on roasting it.

All of the items Fresh Fork Market delivers is grown locally by small farms. According to the FFM website, the items are not the same each year to promote biodiversity, as well as to introduce something different. When I reviewed the lists of bag contents over the years, what excited me most was the opportunity to step outside of my comfort zone to try new ingredients.

Bug is not easily impressed, but he was delighted to find the raw chicken in a plastic bag within a brown bag, sealed in another plastic bag, then separated by a plastic divider, the separate flat bag bottom, to reduce cross-contamination.

- Cassaendra

Fresh Fork Market

2 deep thoughts:

Mrs. L 12 June, 2012 15:31  

I was so disappointed in our CSA...nothing unusual and you had to use the items the day you got the box or they'd go bad. I've had better luck finding interesting foods from my local farmers market but I don't always have time to get there. I'm hoping down the road to find a better CSA in my area.

Cassaendra 16 June, 2012 10:02  

Hi Mrs. L,

That is awful, especially with the amount you're given and it isn't exactly cheap, too. :( I hope you find one some time because you've got an arsenal of recipes, skill, and creativity.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP