Tuesday, February 21, 2012

More Cheese, Please


If you asked me about cheese a year ago, I would have told you I like smoked cheese and gooey mozzarella but wouldn't really care if I never saw cheese again. Nowadays, I will voluntarily wander over to the cheese section to explore. I am nowhere near a cheese connoisseur and will probably never be one.

365-233 Ford Farm Cheese Box
Day 233/365

Costco has a varied selection of cheeses. The variety pack caught my eye, or maybe it was the pretty black box with shiny gold print. For $15, it didn't seem like much of a gamble to try four different cheeses. I was bound to at least like the smoked cheese.

The aged cheddar smoked over oak chips had a sharp and smoky flavor through and through. The texture was dry but not crumbly like the remaining 3 cheeses. Bug and I fought over this. Too bad he snoozed (so he losed?).

Cheddar with port had a hint of port flavor. The scent of the wine was more prevalent than its flavor. I probably wouldn't have liked it if the port were stronger. This was fine in my smoked turkey sandwich.

Wensleydale with cranberries had just enough whole cranberries to enjoy without feeling like it ought to be bagel spread, aside from it being crumbly. I enjoyed this with my favorite super crunchy crackers (that sounds like exercise equipment), Crunchmaster multigrain crackers. It also nicely complemented our vegetable wrap with red peppers.

Their farmhouse cheddar was the least crumbly after the smoked cheddar. With a sharp flavor, it was a bit tangy but not astringent. I found this to be better on its own than on crackers.

I'm still not a fan of stinky cheese.

- Cassaendra

0 deep thoughts:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP