Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kiwi


365-57 Kiwi
Day 057/365

We were shopping for provisions to make Akemi some dog biscuits at Heinen's when I saw dehydrated kiwi for $3.00 for 8 ounces. I usually see them going for $8.00-$9.00 per 12 ounces, which is a bit steep for me since I use them as a topping for cereal in the morning. I am sure they will go well with the oatmeal we also purchased during this shopping trip.

Unlike dehydrated shiitake, where the flavor is concentrated as a result of drying, dehydrated kiwi does not obtain that level of concentrated flavor; only an essence remains. The rind has a stronger flavor. The little seeds retain some of their tartness, but it doesn't have the punch as fresh kiwi seeds. The seeds have not lost their characteristic crunch. The texture is similar to dried mango, firm with a little chew.

I've already snacked on 4-5 pieces and need to savor it a bit longer. It's warm out, but I plan on making oatmeal with chopped kiwi for breakfast tomorrow morning.

- Cassaendra

Heinen's
18300 Royalton Rd
Strongsville, OH 44136
Tel: (440) 238-2372

2 deep thoughts:

Michael 08 August, 2011 00:37  

I like the white part of the Kiwi when it is fresh. I wonder if it has the same slight flavor dried.

My favorite part of the pineapple... the core.

Yum-me.

-michael

Cassaendra 08 August, 2011 20:18  

Hey Michael,

Dehydrated, the rind seems to be the most flavorful part of the slices. It has only been recently that I've eaten part of the core bits. When it's ripe, it tastes great.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP