Sunday, July 24, 2011

Vampyric Embrace


Red wine flowed freely in chalices as the toothsome guests enjoyed a serving of raw liver. Warm to the tongue, lifeblood had coursed through the slices just moments earlier.

365-43 Vamp Dinner
Day 043/365

For dinner this evening, Bug cooked sliced beets (above) to accompany the grilled salmon and salsa. The refreshing salsa was made with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and lime juice, layering the salmon with a touch of sweet piquancy and heat.

The beets were boiled in water, fully cooked and had maintained its firm texture. Not quite as intense in flavor as the beets I have eaten from a can, I much prefer the firmer texture that properly cooked fresh beets have.

I have read that beets are an excellent source of folate that helps repair DNA, as well as being a good antioxidant.



"I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango)" by Grace Jones

I thought the song fit the atmosphere, being particularly dreamy and vampish.

- Cassaendra

2 deep thoughts:

Mrs. L 26 July, 2011 01:14  

Oh, I need to post the roasted beet linguini recipe I made last week. I received a bunch of beets in my CSA box. I don't eat beets. Don't like the flavor, but I LOVED this dish!

Cassaendra 30 July, 2011 07:57  

Hi Mrs. L,

Please, please, please do!!! Would love to have a great way to eat beets other than as a side. (Usual response would be: just Google - but I value recipes from sources I trust!)

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP