Saturday, July 16, 2011

How Much Wood?


I would never have expected to see skunks, woodchucks, badgers, raccoon, deer, and bears in an urban landscape. Yet, I've seen all of these creatures of the wild except for a bear, fortunately.

While walking near the Cleveland Cold Storage demolition site, Akemi encountered a woodchuck doing woodchuckly things.

365-35 Akemi Woodchuck
Day 035/365

Akemi curiously observed the plaything like it was our cat or another one of her plush chew toys. She knows no fear.

As I crept closer to get a better shot of the furry brown critter, it quickly sat up and stared at me. I didn't want to get mauled so I backed away. It dropped to all fours and waddled off.

365-35 Woodchuck
Day 035/365

Akemi tugged at her leash to let us know her toy was getting away. Of course, as the mean old people that we are, we didn't humor her. As we walked away, she kept turning back to catch another glimpse of her new friend. Our cat will have to suffice.

Was it play dead or climb up a tree if you run into a black bear?

- Cassaendra

2 deep thoughts:

Mrs. L 26 July, 2011 01:08  

I think bears climb trees so I'll take play dead...or run like hell!

Walking home between our townhomes a few weeks ago at night, I thought I saw a nice kitty that I was going to reach out and pet. Until I saw that it wasn't a kitty, it was a skunk! We hightailed it across the street. I'm REALLY leery now about "cats" in our area at night LOL.

Cassaendra 01 August, 2011 00:08  

Hah, great story! Glad that you didn't invite the kitty into your house. :)

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP