Monday, July 4, 2011

Dave


We enjoy eating at Famous Dave's because their food is delicious, consistent, modestly priced, and the service ranges from average to excellent.

I believe am pretty open-minded to variations of food that I am familiar with, namely local Hawaiian and Japanese, but find myself to be critical when specifically labeled dishes are advertised as authentic or a key component of the dish has changed.

Despite having several well-loved items on their menu, I looked forward to trying the Huli Buli chicken ($11.99) when I saw it advertised, intrigued to find out what the "Buli" was about and hoped I would not be disappointed.

The platter arrived with three chicken thighs that were charred nicely, corn on the cob, and a corn muffin. I chose as my sides, Firecracker green beans (onions, bacon, garlic) and steamed broccoli (touch too much salt). Its major departure from typical huli huli chicken was the presence of fresh sauce slathered all over the thighs.

365-23 Huli Buli Chicken
023/365

I do not normally eat chicken skin, but sampled a small piece. The sauce had a slight sweetness and a spicy tinge that worked well with the charred skin. Their roasted chicken is always moist, cooked to perfection.

From their website, the sauce is made of ketchup, shoyu, brown sugar, honey, ginger, garlic, lime juice, rice vinegar, Maggi sweet chile sauce, sambal oelek, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.

The serving was quite generous and fed me for 2 full meals, even after giving Bug 1 thigh, some of the green beans and broccoli, my corn muffin, and half of my corn.

Bug ordered his usual, the dinner platter with a choice of two meats ($18.99) -- 1/2 slab Memphis style (dry rub) baby back ribs and Texas beef brisket. His sides were potato wedges and cole slaw with horseradish. Their brisket was fantastic, smoky and tender, as always.

On the way out, we took advantage of their holiday priced full rack of ribs and brought home Memphis style baby back ribs ($15.99).

365-23b Rack Memphis Baby Back Rib
023/365

The dry rub is delicious but salty to my palate, but I'm also sensitive to salt. Under the thin, perfectly charred topmost layer of spiced rub and meat lies a tender and moist, smoked treasure.

As to whether I would order the Huli Buli chicken again -- while I cannot find any glaring faults in the dish, I probably wouldn't order it again. There are other dishes I adore, like the beef brisket and smoked salmon salad.

- Cassaendra

Famous Dave's
26410 Great Northern Shop Center
North Olmsted, OH 44070
Tel: (440) 777-0200

2 deep thoughts:

Mrs. L 09 July, 2011 21:24  

We've only recently had a Famous Dave's in our area. It's not bad, but we also have several BBQ places that put it to shame. My mom finds it way to salty for her palate. But the place is on the way home from work so now and then I do stop by to bring some stuff home.

Cassaendra 10 July, 2011 09:28  

Hello Mrs. L,

American BBQ is difficult, since there are nuances that can make or break the same dish depending on what part of the country it is served.

I do not have Korean barbecue and real huli huli chicken available where I am, so this is an enjoyable variant. You are so lucky to have so many options!!! :)

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP