Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Square Pegs


More spindles, from bare bones to voluptuous.

I didn't realize how poorly painted the floorboards are...rather, the extra painting that was done.

365-206 Porch Spindle Square
Day 206/365

When I visited home recently, I spent some time at my grandparents' house. This was never my home, even though I lived on the same property the first 10 years of my life. I feel saddened with the stillness, without seeing my humble grandfather always tinkering with the landscape or fixing tools. With my grandparents gone, my uncle is the caretaker of this mansion. The majestic Victorian home is a shadow of a once gleaming estate. 

Victorian Porch Spindles
Grandparents' porch

My father likely reminisces more, as it was his childhood home. What is now a paved parking area and several apartment units my grandfather built, was an acre of tropical trees and lush grass along a hillside with flowing double blossom fuchsia bougainvillea bushes lining the front and an unobstructed view of the Pacific when he was a child.  

The weathered house stands strong, not accepting time, a testament of the workmanship withstanding over a century of kids, tropical storms, family parties, and termites, witnessing Hawaii as it was over half a century before statehood.

- Cassaendra

2 deep thoughts:

Michael 26 January, 2012 23:36  

I like the way your wrote this post... takes me to your childhood.

Cassaendra 27 January, 2012 23:37  

Hi Michael,

Thank you! I didn't intend for this to be personal, yet it is probably one of my most personal posts!

Forgot to mention the first picture was not at my grandparents' place. :P

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP