Saturday, July 11, 2009

Take Five


There are a million videos of The Dave Brubeck Quartet performing Take Five live, but my favorite version is this studio version.



Yes, I'm a fuddy duddy.

It brings back fond and not so fond memories of playing this song on the electone at a state-wide music competition when I was 11 or 12 years old. Winners would go on to compete nationally in LA or NY, and of those winners, compete internationally in Tokyo. I nailed the song technically, but there was no depth, and it didn't help that I was not very creative in my improvisational piece.

There was a teenager who performed brilliantly at the competition. So incredible was her improvisational performance, the judges thought she played the professional piece in her program until she announced the title and composer of the song she was about to play. Periodically, I've wondered what happened to her. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name, but I hope she was somehow able to make use of her training and talent!

- Cassaendra

3 deep thoughts:

Arm70 13 July, 2009 08:53  

OMG, I LOVE this! You are NOT a fuddy duddy. I will have you know I am 38 and I watch movies from the 30's and love Benny Goodman. So....THERE!! : )

Aimee
arm1970

Arm70 13 July, 2009 08:54  

BTW, you on Facebook? All us Serious Eaters are over there. Would love to have you join us!

Aimee Michard Self

Cassaendra 14 July, 2009 13:24  

Hi Aimee,

Benny Goodman? Wow, you're a fuddy duddy! :P I'm not on FB, so I guess I am the dud right back. I need to check FB out.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP