Sunday, December 25, 2011

Freeze Frame


The city on December 25th always feels as if someone pushed pause between manic episodes of shopping.

365-177 Bottle of Bobbins
Day 177/365 - Bottle of bobbins at Cosmic Bobbins

Yesterday, after dragging Bug to see David Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," one of the best movies I've seen this year, we walked around the mall to observe the chaos. It wasn't packed like a can of sardines, more like a can of Hamanako unagi.

While I was in Hawaii, I was shocked to hear from my father that Hamanako unagi, Japanese broiled eel in kabayaki sauce from Hamamatsu packed in a can, is kept behind the counter since it now goes for $16/can on sale. I thought that was absurd, since I recall buying it for $4/can a mere 20 years ago. When we went to Marukai, a Japanese wholesale membership club, it really sunk in when I saw a sign confirming what my father said -- not that I doubted my father. While I absolutely love Hamanako unagi, I asked my father not to send me anymore. I'm sure he's relieved.

There was still a line to get a picture with Santa Claus.

365-177 Ladybugs
Day 177/365 - Ladybugs at Cosmic Bobbins

Following the day's first showing of "The Adventures of Tintin" this morning, an enjoyable animated movie, we drove to our favorite Indian restaurant, India's Cafe, for lunch.

Since the only store open was Walgreen's, their parking lot was jammed. We should have gone in. I am curious what people were shopping for. Were they there to ease their acquisition-itch since all the other stores are closed? Or were some curious as I was to see what all the fuss is about?

Just a few more hours until store employees will be thrust into overdrive dealing with returns, shopbacks, and clearance sales. 

My belly is still happy from the goat curry, butter chicken, lentil curry (coconut milk and fresh ginger), and ras malai. I'll have sweet dreams.

- Cassaendra

0 deep thoughts:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP