Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Game is Afoot


I grew up reading Sherlock Holmes stories and, later, watching the late Jeremy Brett play the part impeccably in the well-made Granada TV series (1984-1994), where I was able to bond with him over 41 of the 60 adventures Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote.

When I saw a preview of the resurrection of Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey, Jr., I was a bit skeptical, but not enough to dismiss him. For years, I have been impressed with his ability to sink into a character's skin. I think Bug would agree that he and Johnny Depp are the stars of our generation.

On Friday, I spoke with my coworker, DN, about possibly seeing the movie this weekend. Downey's ability to portray Holmes was still scratching at my mind, but DN gave the example of Daniel Craig as James Bond. We've spoken in the past of how well Craig has done in reviving that enterprise.

I could sense Bug's frustration during the first half of the movie; whereas, I was enthralled by the costumes and the feel of the world. There are several aesthetic aspects I enjoyed about the film -- the hue, texture, music, and steampunk theme.

It's a mystery so I don't want to say too much, but I can say that it has a tidy ending.

Deerstalkers off to Guy Ritchie for successfully resurrecting 221B Baker Street.

Jeremy Brett is Sherlock Holmes in my dreams, but Robert Downey, Jr. is an impressive Sherlock Holmes in a parallel universe. I look forward to more adventures.

- Cassaendra

2 deep thoughts:

Michael 18 January, 2010 02:00  

I loved the movie. I thought the costumes and cinematography as well.

Hopefully you were able to take Bug out for something nice to eat afterwards.

Michael

Cassaendra 18 January, 2010 18:29  

Hi Michael,

We had a late dinner at Famous Dave's. They have awesome Memphis style ribs, beef brisket, roasted chicken, smoked salmon, and bread pudding, AND they're modestly priced. We always leave with lots of leftovers! :)

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP