Sunday, August 9, 2009

Clafouti


Serious Eats Weekend Cook and Tell challenge this weekend was to cook a recipe from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child, to celebrate the movie, Julie & Julia, which opened this weekend.

I really don't know much about French food other than bread, escargot, gaufre, and mille-feuille, so I decided to make pizza.

SE Clafouti
This is not a pepperoni pizza...

Okay, I didn't make pizza...

It didn't dawn on me that a flat-bottomed round casserole dish should have been used; something I (still) do not have. I even went out to buy a rectangular casserole dish to make this since ours exploded into a million slivers 1-2 months ago during a cooking mishap. It took ~1 week until we stopped finding and having to extract glass splinters from our bleeding feet.

While searching for recipes from Mastering... online, since I do not own a copy, I ran into an awesome website that had almost all of the recipes, which were contributed by the site contributers and bloggers from all over. I used the linked Calfouti recipe posted at Cooking with Amy (below). I've tweaked the instructions to make a few points clear.

Clafouti
I targeted desserts because there aren't very many desserts that I find inedible.

Ingredients:
1-1/4 c milk
1/3 c sugar
3 eggs
1 T vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c flour
3 c cherries, pitted
1/3 c sugar
powdered sugar

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend milk, 1/3 c sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and flour in a blender.
3. Pour 1/4-inch layer of batter in a lightly buttered 8 c baking dish.
4. Place in the oven until a film of batter sets in the pan. Remove from heat and spread the cherries over the batter.
5. Sprinkle 1/3 c sugar over cherries. Pour the rest of the batter over the cherries. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour. The clafouti is done when puffed and brown, and a knife plunged in the center comes out clean.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve warm.

This recipe will make 6-8 servings.

When Bug took the clafouti out of the oven, I was disappointed because it somehow transformed itself into a pizza. It still tasted good, with a flavor and texture of rich egg custard rather than a silky flan, that it has inspired me to make egg custard pie some time soon. I would like to make the pie without a crust so it's nothing but vanilla-eggy goodness. Bug felt meh over this dish, saying it "wasn't anything special."

Klaatu barada nikto. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

- Cassaendra

6 deep thoughts:

Arm70 11 August, 2009 10:21  

Hey! I think it looks great....yes, I've only ever seen them made in round pans but who cares? You aren't one to go the road of convention...right? : ) I'll love you even more if you lifted your quote from the ORIGINAL.

Michael 11 August, 2009 15:07  

I would like to hear about your cooking mishap! I'm thinking it involves cold water and a hot glass dish.

Tatiana 11 August, 2009 18:14  

I made clafouti once, reasonably properly, in a round cast iron pan. I think the recipe was from Sunday Supper at Lucques, but I'm sure they're all pretty similar. I too was meh. It was edible, rather nice, a little bland and overall not really worth making again.

Cassaendra 12 August, 2009 19:01  

Hi Aimee~
I think I'm the type that ofttimes forgets a road exists, which can sometimes lead to disaster...and don't remind me how long it's been since I've seen the original! At least it wasn't at the theater. :D

Hey Michael,
Yup, it involved a wet counter and a hot casserole dish. It crackled, moaned, and ker-popped.

Hi Tatiana,
It wasn't too bad, but I'd have to make adjustments that would probably make it something other than clafouti, like cherry custard pie.

The most labor intensive part was pitting the cherries. My belly was full after that task. :P

Mrs. L 13 August, 2009 16:01  

I hate pitting cherries but I do love a good cherry clafouti (even if it kinda does look like peperoni pizza!)

Cassaendra 15 August, 2009 10:16  

Hello Mrs. L,

The pitting went more like pit 1 cherry, eat 2 cherries. :)

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP