Monday, May 30, 2011

Temps are Rising


Where did the time go? We stopped in for takeout at Fahrenheit in early April, a week or two after their spring menu arrived in my inbox. One item demanded attention.

Fahrenheit Lobster Roll
2/3 lobster rolls

Lobster and crab hold a special place in my heart as it replays my yearly month-long summer holidays to San Francisco with my mother. A respite from the Hawaiian heat, we also took advantage of the abundance of boutiques with cool and unusual clothing (read: not summery) and experienced amazing artists who did not wish to make the flight to Hawaii.

In addition to San Francisco, crustaceans also remind me of a trip I took with my grandmother, father, and aunt to Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick over 15 years ago -- wonderful company, amidst breathtaking autumnal scenery and a cornucopia of sumptuous seafood.

The man behind the bar was friendly and helpful as I strolled in wearing running pants, jacket, and shoes -- nowhere near casual chic or business attire. I kept my expectations low as I endured, oops, ordered my lobster roll trio ($13), imagining filler like celery and onions, Old Bay seasoning, and lobster specks from past experiences elsewhere in the city.

Why would I order a $13 sandwich if I thought I was going to get something inedible? I was optimistic that Chef Whalen would not create an abomination of a classic. I'm a sucker for lobster rolls.

I ordered a wild mushroom pizza ($14) for Bug. When I received the pizza box, I was surprised to be presented such a large box. I expected an 8-10" pizza but it was more like 12-14".

Fahrenheit Mushroom Pizza
Mushroom

As we stepped through our threshold, I ripped open one of two boxes that cradled my sandwich. Upon my first bite, I cooed as my tongue caught hold of a sweet, tender chunk of lobster embraced by a pillowy roll. With each subsequent bite, there was no obscene intrusion of onions, celery, or Old Bay. The caper dressing was a creamy vehicle, and the crunch of cucumber and sweetness of the tomatoes were delightful accompaniments.

Bug, a pizza lover, commented that the pizza was all right. He didn't feel it was worth the $14, bothered by the quantity of toppings over the price paid. I stole a couple of bites and enjoyed the tart and creamy goat cheese, sweet caramelized onions, earthy heft of the mushrooms that was rounded off with the silken garlic.

Fahrenheit Mushroom Pizza Underside
Obligatory upskirt pizza shot

Mondays through Thursdays from 17:00 - 19:00, Fahrenheit has a reasonable 3 for $30 meal deal - appetizer, entree, and dessert from an abbreviated menu. How tempting!

- Cassaendra

Fahrenheit
2417 Professor Ave
Cleveland, OH 44113
Tel: (216) 781-8858

2 deep thoughts:

Michael 30 May, 2011 22:33  

The only thing I have to say about San Francisco... NaNa.

Cassaendra 09 June, 2011 07:23  

Hi Michael,

Oh how I miss Nana! I had at least 10 boots, maybe even 15 boots of theirs. Miss Reckless Records too. :\

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP