Sunday, July 29, 2007

More Human than Human

Blade Runner 25th Anniversary Ultimate Edition
(Image taken from Binary Bonsai)


I can't wait!


My favorite movie of all time, Blade Runner, is coming out with a 25th anniversary ultimate edition. I have adored this movie since I was in high school. It continues to be my favorite movie of all time.

When the movie was available for sale on Beta (videotape) to the general public, as opposed to only available to retail video rental stores, my mother bought it for me. Of course, back in the 1980s, a movie videotape made available for sale to the general public could go for anywhere between $50 - $150. Blade Runner went for somewhere between $50 - 75. Dune, my other favorite movie later in high school, went for ~$55. Videotapes only available through video rental stores were priced around $200 - $350+ each!

According to Binary Bonsai, the 25th anniversary DVD set will include:

- DVD 1: The Final Cut (2007)

- DVD 2: Complete film versions
... 1982 US Theatrical version
... 1982 International Theatrical version
... 1992 Director's Cut

- DVD 3: Documentary

- DVD 4: Enhanced Content Bonus

- DVD 5: Work Print version and Enhanced Content


Blade Runner 25th Anniversary Ultimate Edition
(Image taken from
Product Reviews Net)


This edition will be packaged in a blade runner's briefcase and will also include a model spinner, origami unicorn, pictures, and other goodies. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions will be available. I'll probably get the Blu-Ray version - my very first commitment to the HD wars. Oof!

HD quality aside, I am just giddy that we'll finally have the original version on DVD available! For me, the voiceovers that Harrison Ford and other members of the crew apparently despised, enhanced the noir feel of our futuristic dank world. I felt the voiceover gave the movie a retrograde (in a good way!) spin and didn't dumb down the movie. The Director's Cut was enjoyable with the addition of the unicorn scene and the omission of the "happy" ending.

Blade Runner is set in Los Angeles, in the year 2019. Rick Deckard (played by Harrison Ford) is a retired blade runner, a bounty hunter of stray replicants. Replicants are built by the Tyrell Corporation to such a high degree of sophistication that they've become "more human than human" (Tyrell motto), built specifically for occupations too dangerous or undesireable for humans. Due to their sophistication, their lives were capped to 4 years since they were found to develop human traits like emotions and desire.

Deckard grudgingly returns to hunt down 4, although 5 are actually mentioned, replicants who have escaped from a space colony with Roy Batty (played by Rutger Hauer) as their fearless leader. They have returned to Earth in search of their "maker" to find out how they can be fixed to live longer.

Cyberpunk Review has a lengthy write-up on the movie with numerous screen captures that are splendid to this day.

The touching soliloquy by Roy Batty sitting in the rain before he expires, with the injured Deckard listening, is my favorite quote from the movie...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams...glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those...moments will be lost...in time, like tears...in rain. Time...to die.

- Cassaendra

2 deep thoughts:

Anonymous 30 July, 2007 10:12  

Wow, I love this movie! We were just talking about this at work today (oddly...)

I guess I'll end up getting it, too, to match the three VHS copies I have and the one on DVD...

I am so mad at myself for not getting the art book they put out with the movie...

Cassaendra 30 July, 2007 15:23  

Wh-wh-what artbook? That would have been very cool to have, but I'm sure I would have beaten that book up to death leafing through it.

For the longest time, I kept a page from Tigerbeat or some teen magazine "introducing" Rutger Hauer in a new futuristic movie, Blade Runner. I didn't realize 'til recently I probably saw him earlier in Nighthawks with Sylvester Stallone. :P

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP