Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Sometime Food


Milk n Cookies
Milk n cookies

Recently, Bug called me at work and greeted me with a yelp, "chocolate chip cookies!" I replied, "Oooh!"

These cookies don't have lavender, matcha, or chocolate from La Maison du Chocolat, which would have been silly and wasteful. The ignition of my craving for chocolate chip cookies? A Tollhouse recipe with a couple of adjustments that I discovered at La Fuji Mama's blog several weeks ago.

They were delicious, crisp around the edges and soft in the center. In its familiar circular form, they didn't last more than 12 hours. I think this is why Cookie Monster had to go on his campaign educating everyone that cookies are a "sometime food."

Bug took care of making the cookies as I've had bad luck making cookies since I was a kid. They turn into cookie sheets, literally.

From Rachel at La Fuji Mama, adapted from the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Ingredients:
2-1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 c (12-oz package) Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate large mixer bowl, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until the dough is creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating the dough well after each addition. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. Scoop out rounded tablespoons of dough and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes and then remove the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

The recipe made 20 cookies for us. We used chocolate and peanut butter chips.

In some way, I was hoping the cookies would come out as a sheet to validate that I'm not an awful baker. As evidenced by the photograph, it quite assuredly validated that I am an awful baker.

The next time we make this, I'd love to use matcha and white chocolate chips.

La Fuji Mama has an esprit de corp named the Washoku Warriors who cook from the book by Elizabeth Andoh, Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen, a wonderful book that I purchased a couple years ago. Her book beautifully captures traditional techniques of Japanese cooking and applies it to traditional dishes, as well as maintaining that spirit with new dishes.

- Cassaendra

2 deep thoughts:

Rachael Hutchings 05 April, 2010 00:33  

I'm glad you liked them!

Cassaendra 08 April, 2010 20:03  

Hi Fuji Mama!

I can't wait to try your other recipes like the pumpkin curry and a ton of others! :)

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP